Lily Miller - Education Blog

The Forth Step

This week I was struggling to get motivated. Going into our long run on Saturday, I was feeling rather under the weather. I told my running partner that I wasn’t sure if I would be able to run the whole way, and that we would definitely not be going fast. I was feeling anxious about school and was dealing with conflicts in my social life. My mind was busy thinking about everything going “wrong” in my life, and felt like I had very little energy to put into this run.

I didn’t take long, after we began running, for my mind to change. Before long, I had forgotten all about my troubles. I got locked into a rhythm, and it felt almost like meditation. Everything that I was worried about seemed utterly insignificant. My thoughts suddenly felt clarity, I knew that what seemed to be the biggest deal before the run, was now hardly an issue at all. On top of that, our run ended up being very successful. Our route surprised us with more elevation than we would have liked. Despite the incline and my off mood, we ended up running the 14km right on track with our goal at an average pace of 6 minute kilometres! This goes to show just how much exercise can help improve your mood and that you are capable of anything you set your mind too.

Cattle Point (14k)

From those who know best

After my transformative experience over the weekend, I was curious to find out why my mood changed so drastically during and after my run. I engaged in a conversation with a friend who is studying exercise and health to get some answers to why I felt so much better after running. He told me that…

• Exercise causes your body to release endorphins which work to trigger feelings of positivity and reduced pain (this is likely the largest contributor to my change in mood)
  • Getting outside has similar effects on mental well-being as exercise does, combining the two is a sure way to feel better
  • Having a healthy outlet makes life more meaningful and provides individuals with a way to release stress (constructive hobby)
  • To echo the first point, not being sedentary helps to avoid depression. As difficult as it may be to get up and do something on a day when you’re feeling under the weather, it will only get worse if you chose not to get up!

Get up, get out, and get better.

Trafalgar park (14k)

Weekly runs: