Lily Miller - Education Blog

Recorder Blog #2

By now I have learnt to play the second song that I was learning, Happy Birthday. After struggling to learn the first song, Au Clair de la Lune, this song was very easy to learn. I don’t think the song itself was any simpler, I believe that I have my practice and growing familiarity with the instrument to thank for having an easier time learning the second song. Additionally, I was already familiar with the notes so I didn’t have to spend time learning them. I feel accomplished that I was able to successfully learn both songs that I had aimed for.

After having learnt Happy Birthday and practiced it several times, I returned to the first song. I was amazed at how much I had improved in my ability to play the first song after learning the new one! I could play it faster and with less errors. This goes to show just how valuable practice is. I still have trouble transitioning from note to note sometimes because I am still in the process of learning the instrument and best ways to hold the recorder. The notes that give me trouble specifically are D and D’. D requires all the holes to be covered, and for some reason my attempt at this note is often unsuccessful. The note sounds awful, like the classic unwanted recorder noise! D’ gives be trouble because I find it difficult to hold the recorder while I play that note as it only require one finger. In both cases, I know that I just need more practice! Looking forward to improving and discovering what else I am capable of!